Monday 29 August 2011

Dump Cake



Cakers don’t always think things through. Too often, we get caught up in the excitement of craft-making and fail to consider the consequences of our actions.

I don’t know who invented Dump Cake, but I wish I could travel back in time to that historical caker moment (I’m envisioning an avocado-green fridge, ruffled curtains and a giant wooden fork-and-spoon set hanging on the wall) and ask this person: “Are you sure you want to call it that?”

I suppose hindsight is always 20/20.

What’s important here is the finished product. And when it comes to ease, taste and presentation, you’d be hard pressed to find anything more satisfying than a good Dump.

1 white cake mix
1 can pie filling (cherry, apple or blueberry)
1 can crushed pineapple, partly drained
1 cup butter or margarine
Coconut

Heat oven to 375°. In greased 9"x13” pan, spread pie filling. Next spread pineapple. Cover with dry cake mix. Drizzle melted butter or margarine over cake mix and top with coconut. Bake for 30-45 minutes.

Source: "Let's Break Bread Together," The United Churches in Canada

2 comments:

  1. Oh! This is one of my staples. Got it from my aunt in Saskatchewan through the family grapevine. It's my goto for potlucks. I've never made it with pie filling though. Usually just a can of mixed fruit, and of course I always use slabs of butter or margarine draped over the top, never a mere drizzle. I've also tried it with mandarin oranges and chocolate cake mix. I often substitute, or accompany the coconut with any assortment of nuts. Bonus feature, you can buy all the ingrediants at the corner store, including (if you're in Newfoundland) a can of Fussel's Cream, which is the best thing to serve it with once it comes out of the oven. What a great blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. Chocolate cake mix and mandarin oranges. My caker tastebuds perked up at that. I might have to revisit the ol' Dump again.

      Delete