Monday 30 July 2012

Fibre-Rich Bean Muffins




Look, there’s no point beating around the bush – everyone suffers from constipation from time to time. But for cakers, getting bunged up is simply a fact of our everyday lives. It explains why so many of us walk around with that pinched look on our faces.

It’s no wonder traffic can get a little congested with all the processed, synthetic and non-green foods we cakers consume. But, thankfully, here’s a recipe guaranteed to get the lead out. So to speak.

Some of you may find making muffins with beans a little disturbing. But how is it any different than that Jessica Seinfeld book where she put things like spinach in brownies and bean sprouts in pudding? (Or whatever it was she did.)

As to how these muffins taste, I have to say not too bad. Kind of like mini Tomato Soup Cakes. In fact, I’ve already eaten thr


Er…excuse me for a moment. Nature's calling.


1 cup raisins
1 cup boiling water
3 eggs
1 cup oil
2 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup walnuts
1 14-ounce can beans in tomato sauce
½ teaspoon salt
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon baking powder

Mix raisins with boiling water. Stir and set aside. Beat eggs, oil, sugar, vanilla and beans until beans are broken. Add flour and remaining ingredients, including raisins and water. Mix well. Spoon batter into large paper muffin cups. Bake at 325º for 30 minutes.


Source: Centennial Central Cook Book

8 comments:

  1. Wow, I've liked most of your recipes, but I think I'm going to have to pass (as it were) on this one. I've been grossed out by baked beans ever since I was a kid, and I don't think hiding them in muffins is going to help.
    Loved your "congested traffic" comment, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I'm sensitive to your baked beanophobia, Veg-o-matic, I feel it's only fair to tell you that these went over astoundingly well with my co-workers. In fact, many said they couldn't even taste the beans. So you might want to reconsider. One word of caution: bringing beans into an office can produce some deadly results by the time mid-afternoon rolls around.

      Delete
  2. Gonna try them. Kind of like the tomato soup cake with the addition of beans. Where I live, beans show up in desserts quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admire your bravery, fiflaru. Let me know what you think of them.

      Delete
  3. OK, if you're grinding them up I can live with this. They actually are pretty sweet and I don't know how noticeable the flavour would be. Not even going to click on Tomato Soup Cake. not. even.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clare, you're missing out on a real tasty treat. Everyone who tried the Tomato Soup cake loved it. Well, maybe not "loved." But they certainly didn't hate it as much as they thought they'd hate a cake made with condensed soup. And that's saying something. Sort of.

      Delete
    2. I agree wholeheartedly with Brian on this one. My family used to call it Mystery Cake!

      Delete
    3. The pressure's on now, Clare. Click it! Click Tomato Soup Cake!

      Delete