Monday, 15 July 2013

Daiquiri Pah


Good lord, what kind of sick individual came up with the spelling for daiquiri? I don’t even want to say how long it took me to get it right. Personally, I think dackeree is a much more practical way to spell it.

This cool and refreshing Daiquiri Pah is like the sibling of the equally delicious Tang Pah. However, because of the alcohol content, this pah should only be eaten after the kids go to bed. In other words, it’s “adults only,” just like those VHS rental places with the frosted windows. And, like Tang Pah, it’s better frozen. (It was a little goopy in its refrigerated state.)

A word of caution: this pah is strong! There’s a ½ cup of rum in it. In fact, it’s so potent, I blanked out after my second piece and woke up the next morning, dangling from a construction crane, wearing a cowboy hat and a pair of pantyhose – neither of which, surprisingly, were mine. Scary how that happened. Again.

But I suppose that’s to be expected when you bake from a cookbook with a unicorn on the cover.

Graham cracker pie crust
1 8 ozs. pckg. cream cheese
1 14 ozs. can Eagle Brand Condensed Milk
1 6 ozs. can frozen limeade or lemonade
½ cup rum
1 5 ozs. container pre-whipped whipping cream (35% - Cool Whip is good) (See note)
Green food colouring (few drops – your choice)

Combine all ingredients except the pie crust in a blender. Blend well and pour into the pie shell. Limes may be placed around the top of the pie. Refrigerate for 6 hours and then serve.
What a coooool dessert!

Note: About half of a large Cool Whip container.

Source: What’s in the Oven?

Please, god. Don't let it be a unicorn.







13 comments:

  1. That looks cool and refreshing. Of course, you know it would be even better flambéed (and with the rum content, quite possible.)
    I guess pre-whipped whipping cream means the stuff in a can? I couldn't imaging making a pie with that, as only about 10% would end up in the bowl, the remaining 90% being applied directly to my mouth (which really is the only proper thing to do with a can of whipped cream.)
    As for that whole construction crane/cowboy hat/pantyhose thing, as they say in Facebook Land "pictures, or it didn't happen."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could certainly flambe this, but yes, given the alcohol, I'd keep the fire extinguisher handy. (If asked, just tell your guests it's a whipped cream dispenser.) I used Cool Whip because, well, I use Cool Whip for everything. Pies, cakes, shampoo. It also makes excellent sunscreen.

      As far as the photos, I suggest Googling "caker in pantyhose dangling from a construction crane" and see what comes up.

      Delete
    2. Okay, so I did and the search results led me right back here. No surprises there. The image results were less than satisfying...

      Delete
  2. OMG the visual! I'm with veg, I wanna see the pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, aren't my words enough of a visual? What's that old saying? A thousand words is worth a picture. Or something like that.

      Delete
  3. Although I was dazzled by this dessert, you sent me down a path to find out the provenance of the word "daiquiri"; because until now I never bothered thinking but stuck to drinking.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daiquir%C3%AD

    I had no idea that Caker Cooking was so educational!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melanie, if you had no idea that this blog was so educational, well, that makes two of us. Thanks for that info about how the daquiri got its name.

      Delete
    2. Crap. You see how I mispelled it? I have to keep practicing. Daiquiri. Daiquiri. Daiquiri.

      Delete
  4. This pah is so posh looking with the lime slice. I think that the Tang Pah would really look fabulous with orange slices. Ohhh I'm hungry just thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think an orange slice on top of Tang Pah would look real sophisticated like. Although, in true caker fashion, the orange slice should be plastic.

      Delete
  5. Let's comment on the strange cookbook cover. Still not following the connection between Unicorns and "what's in the oven". Too much dackerree pie before the cover design committee meeting maybe???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the cookbook cover was drawn by a teenage girl. I have a theory that most young girls go through a "unicorn phase." It's usually followed by a rainbow phase. After that, they go goth.

      Delete
    2. You're right Brian. Shades of the 1970's... unicorns & rainbows. With any luck I'll be seeing unicorns & rainbows after a few slices of the Dackeree pah.

      Delete