Monday 6 October 2014

Kitchen Reno Week

I’m undergoing a kitchen reno right now. I decided it’s time for this caker to prancercise his way into the 21st century. Here are all the things I’ve asked my handyman (a.k.a. Mother) to do:

1. Replace avocado appliances with golden harvest
2. Put up ruffled sheers from Sears
3. Put up flowered wallpaper border
4. Sew chair pads to match wallpaper border
5. Install showcase for my souvenir spoon collection
6. Get a “dishwasher” (apparently, it’s a box where you hide dirty dishes)
7. Hang extremely large wooden fork and spoon

Until my reno is complete, I don’t have a kitchen to cook in. And while some of you (mainly Eye-talians) assume that cakers don’t actually “cook,” we do need sources of heat. And my crimping iron simply isn’t going to cut it. So I’ve put together a list of random my fave recipes over the years, just like a flashbacks episode of The Golden Girls. Minus the cheesecake.

Hopefully, I’ll be back to posting recipes next week. So long as Mother manages to haul the fridge up the stairs.


Popcorn Salad
Orville Redenbacher’s favourite side dish.









Battle of the Peanut Butter Cookies: Cakers vs. Mennonites
And you thought Godzilla vs. Mothra was intense.









Ruby Slipper Cake
The height of sophistication from the pages of TV Guide.









Cheerio Chews
So easy to make! And eat!










Patsy Recline’s Dingle Hoofers
The name says it all.


16 comments:

  1. Good luck with your kitchen reno Brian. May I also suggest the addition of either a "Home Sweet Home" of a "God Bless this Mess" sign etched using one of those wood burning kits. Don't forget to varnish the heck out of it before you hang it up. No 70s kitchen would be complete without his.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to put up a handpainted wooden sign that reads "Pie 25 cents a slice" but I'm not sure if it's too contemporary.

      Delete
    2. Oh yeah - pyrography! I think my mother in law's neighbour's daughter does it as a hobby craft so I could probably get you one.

      Delete
    3. Sold. And please tell me the signs cost 25 cents, too.

      Delete
  2. Aw, I was all excited when I saw the post title-I thought you were going to a housewares show in Reno.
    We had one of those portable dishwashers (in brown) but it was on casters and would slide out from under you if leaned against. I speak from experience(s).

    Some attractive copper moulds shaped like fish would be a nice touch for the walls-
    You'll always know where your moulds are when Jell-O week rolls around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES to the wall of copper molds. Inspiration if you need it: http://dinnerisserved1972.com/2012/06/04/everything-old-is-new-again-dis-retro-renovation/

      Delete
    2. My god, your reno is the stuff of retro dreams, especially with that cloth calendar from 1972. And let's not get started on that copper mold wall. Martha Stewartson, you've got some competition.

      Delete
  3. Have you considered some lovely carpeting? It'll soak up any spills and hide crumbs! Goodness knows how handy carpet has been in my bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Carpeting in the bathroom is THE BEST. But remember - make sure it matches the toilet tank fur.

      Delete
    2. Don't forget the clear plastic carpet protectors for the places that get heavy foot traffic. Nothing says stylish like a plastic sidewalk on your carpet!

      Delete
    3. Just make sure you put the plastic right side up. There's nothing worse than accidentally walking on the spiked side. Yee-ouch!

      Delete
  4. I'm very interested to see how you use the giant spoon & fork. I remember them well from my house & many friends homes. I was 14 in 1972. I also have 2 large & 4 small copper molds that have decorated my kitchen on & off. They're from my grandmother so they'll always stay. I love vintage kitchen things, a little earlier than you though. I also collect vintage cookbooks. I have from 30's on, lots of 70's. Also a special collection of church, school etc fundraising books, started because my grandmother was a general store owner in a tiny town in upstate NY. She supported everyone & bought them all & cooked from them. I guess it rubbed off. Love your site even if I'm not Canadian, Southern Maine close enough?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Southern Maine Is close enough. Welcome to the caker club. I'm completely jealous that your grandmother owned a general store. If my grandmother had owned one, I would've been in there every day, trying to bargain with her.

      Delete
  5. I just lost several minutes out of my life watching Prancercize videos. Also, I hope you get a hairdo to match your appliances, and maybe a big skirt.

    ReplyDelete