Friday 12 December 2014

Crustless Pumpkin Pie


Next Saturday night, I’m hosting my annual Caker Christmas party. I invite Eye-talians over and everyone brings a caker dish. I usually assign the recipes but this year, I’m throwing caker caution to the wind. “Bring whatever you want,” I said to them. “So long as it's caker.”

Why do I have a feeling I’m going to regret this? I’ll post all the gory details on Monday, December 22. If I survive.

Until then, help yourself to a big wedge of this Crustless Pumpkin Pie. I was hoping it would turn out like Impossible Pie, where all the layers separate to create a top layer, middle section and crust. It didn’t work out that way. I guess the crust was in there. Somewhere. I brought this to my work potluck and got a mixed reaction. Some people liked it. Others felt crust-robbed.

But, as Mother always says, “You can please some people most of the time, but you can’t make friends none of the time.” She’s wise beyond her years, that one. Anyways, don’t forget to serve this under an avalanche of Cool Whip.

¾ cup sugar
½ cup Bisquick
2 tablespoons butter
1 large can evaporated milk
16 ounce can pumpkin (see note)
2 ½ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
2 teaspoons vanilla

Beat together until smooth. Pour into greased 10-inch pie plate. Bake 50-55 minutes at 350°.

Note: The can I bought wasn’t 16 ounces, so make sure you measure it out. If you care about accuracy. If not, toss the whole thing in there.

Source: St. Mary’s C.W.L. Crafton Cookbook, St. Mary’s, Ontario


10 comments:

  1. Umm, not to sound ungrateful or anything, but why did we not have an avalanche of Cool Whip available to us at the potluck?! : )

    Sincerely,
    Your crust-robbed colleague

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because I couldn't afford it. I couldn't even afford the crust. I spent too much money on my new Ab Roller. I'm poor, but at least I'll have a 6-pack. Maybe. Someday.

      Delete
  2. Pumpkin pudding like this deserves something classier than Cool Whip. I'm talking Aerosol Whipped Cream, baby!

    I think this is something I'd actually make. I don't like regular shortening/lard pie crusts, and have always just eaten the innards of pumpkin pie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pretty decent pumpkin pie if you're concerned more with the filling than the crust. And yes to the aerosol whipped cream! So long as you do clever designs on the top of the pie. Like a nativity scene, for example.

      Delete
  3. I'm sure it tastes delicious; however it does resemble a cowpat.
    Aerosol cream makes everything better. Nothing like a shot of that straight from the can in the light of your fridge on those nights when life weighs heavilly....
    Amazing that there are so many shades of "Caker Brown". Such a panoply of colours which need official names. We must be able to buy home wares, furnishings & clothing in shades of "Caker Brown" (TM).
    I think that I have just identified a hitherto un realised need of mankind.
    Is there a Caker equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Nobel Peace Prize as far as I know. But I am working on a line of housewares, as a matter of fact. Watch for it coming soon to Kmart and other fine retailers. I'm also working on a line of caker preservatives.

      Delete
  4. So That is why you are leaving us, Martha Stewartson.
    I hope that a line of leisure wear will follow in due course.
    I cannot wait to buy your wares & watch your entreprenurial star soar.
    Don't be tempted to dabble in insider trading, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the pumpkin pie I grew up on from my grandma. As a result, pumpkin pie with an actual crust has always felt wrong to me, but I fully acknowledge that I’m the weirdo here. It whips up really nicely in a blender (4-5 minutes).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Petti, there's nothing wrong with pie made with a blender. So long as it's served with a straw.

      Delete
  6. Ha! I mean, it bakes up just fine, it’s really custardlike. I’ve never had to use a straw. ��

    ReplyDelete