Monday 8 December 2014

Stuffed Mushrooms



If you’re like me, you’re in the throes of planning your holiday party. Lucky for me, I’m a caker. And that means I take Easy Street and have a potluck. Just think – people show up to your party and bring you food. You don’t have to do anything except answer the door. And maybe sprinkle some Love My Carpet around.

If you’re feeling generous, put out a few appetizers. Usually, I set out a bowl of Ruffles and Lipton Onion Soup mixed with sour cream (still in the container, of course!) And, if my allowance cheque from Mother doesn’t bounce, I might opt for a shrimp ring. But only one. I’m not responsible for feeding the entire neighborhood, for heaven’s sake! LOL!

I came across these Stuffed Mushrooms and thought they’d make great appetizers. Mushrooms are cheap and you don’t even have to use real bacon. I bought the simulated soy kind which tastes more like bacon than bacon, in my caker opinion. As far as quantities, if you’re having 20 people over, make five of these and quarter them. People are always watching their calories over the holidays. They’ll thank you.

Save your egg cartons and come back Wednesday for a timeless holiday craft!

Whole mushrooms
Bacon bits
Shredded cheddar cheese
Mayonnaise

Wash and remove stems from the mushrooms. Mix equal amounts of bacon bits, cheese and mayonnaise. Place cleaned mushrooms on a cookie sheet. Fill with the mixture of bacon bits/cheese/mayonnaise. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes approximately.


Source: Our 20th Anniversary Cookbook, Lambeth, Ontario


15 comments:

  1. Those look pretty darn good! That 20th Anniversary Cookbook has some real winners (no snark!). I guess it took 20 years of cookbooks to weed out all the clunkers.

    Our congregation is working on a cookbook right now. I'll send you a copy for nostalgia purposes, as it will be published after this year is over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Lambeth cookbook has been good to me. There's no denying it.
      You send that book to me. I bet it's full of good eats.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Yo no soy marinero, yo no soy marinero. Soy capitán, soy capitán!

      Delete
    2. The first ingredient is soy flour, followed by about a hundred others, none of which I can pronounce.

      Delete
  3. These look like a little bite of bacon flavoured heaven! I eagerly await the Wednesday's Christmas craft, and here's me just having recycled about three dozen egg cartons this past weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! It's always that way, isn't it? Okay, just so you're prepared - save your toilet paper rolls. I got a craft coming up next week that will BLOW YOUR MIND.

      Delete
  4. I don't want to give away what your fabulous egg carton Caker craft might be, but I'm pretty sure that my mom had we kids make that Caker Christmas Craft back in the day! Oh the memories. I'll have to dig in the recycling box for egg cartons .......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just make sure they're not the styrofoam kind. Do they even still make those?

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make sure you remind guests to take out the toothpick! I'm still dealing with the repercussions from last year's cocktail meatball palette spearing incident. Wasn't pretty.
      I've always been partial to potpourri scented stuff. It always smells like a meadow. Sort of. Okay, maybe not.

      Delete
  6. The container of Bacos we have features a Bac-O-Metre on the back so you can see when you're getting low on bacon bits I hadn't started worrying about Baco emergencies, but now a quick glance at the package lets me know when to add them to my list. If only the maraschino cherries came with a similar feature.

    ReplyDelete